Minimally Invasive Procedures
The traditional surgical options for BPH may provide the best chance for improving urinary symptoms, but they also carry the greatest risk of complications. In the search for less risky procedures, less-invasive treatment options have been developed. These new options are sometimes called device therapies because the doctor uses specific devices to apply heat to destroy tissue that may be obstructing the urethra or bladder outlet. The minimally invasive technologies available include:
- transurethral vaporization of the prostate (TUVP or TVP)
- transurethral microwave thermotherapy (TUMT)
- transurethral needle ablation (TUNA)
- visual laser ablation of the prostate (VLAP)
- interstitial laser coagulation (ILC)
Be aware that some of these new technologies may not be available in your area or your local surgeons may not be experienced in using the new techniques. Also, insurance companies do not cover many of these procedures because the techniques are considered unproven and experimental.