1-Minute Relaxation Technique
This easy three-breath relaxer combines visualization with deep breathing, sending air deep into the abdomen.
- Sit in a chair, close your eyes, and imagine a brightly colored balloon in your abdomen.
- Slowly inhale through the nose, directing the air to your lower abdomen, and imagine the balloon gradually expanding to its full size. Hold the full breath for a few seconds.
- Slowly exhale through your mouth, and imagine the balloon gradually shrinking to its original size.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 for a second breath.
- Repeat for a third breath, and as you inhale and exhale this time, try to visualize a setting you find especially peaceful and restful -- sitting by a quiet stream or walking alone on a mountain or shore.